Note: Please refer to this page for the most up to date information.
Ocean State Libraries
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 17, 2020
Ocean State Libraries Responds to COVID-19
Rhode Island public libraries are taking steps to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak in their communities. Ocean State Libraries and its member libraries are following recommendations from the CDC and the Rhode Island Department of Health to ensure the safety of our communities and our staff and to take appropriate steps to best serve the Rhode Island library community. At present, all Rhode Island public libraries are closed through March 22 and the statewide book delivery system has also been shut down through March 22.
- Due dates on all items have been extended to May 1.
- Expiring library cards have been reset to expire May 1 so that library users can make the most of ebooks and other digital resources and services.
- Fines on all items that accrue from March 1 through the end of the public health crisis will be waived.
- Existing holds will be honored. However, the ability to place new holds has been temporarily turned off.
- The investment in ebooks and digital audiobooks in OSL’s eZone will be expanded so that patrons can continue to enjoy books and reading.
Ocean State Libraries is also working in partnership with the Rhode Island Office of Library & Information Services. They are developing a collection of online resources for students and families to help all Rhode Islanders meet their learning and recreational needs from home.
For up to date information about Ocean State Libraries and its response to COVID-19, please visit our site: https://www.oslri.org/library-closings/
About Ocean State Libraries
Ocean State Libraries (OSL) is a consortium of Rhode Island’s 48 public libraries and St. George’s School. OSL coordinates a statewide catalog of library materials, digital content and future-ready technology services for its member libraries so they may better serve their patrons and communities. Through their library’s membership in OSL and OSL’s partnership with the Rhode Island Office of Library & Information Services, library patrons have access to over six million books, movies and more, all available at or through their local public library.
About the Office of Library & Information Services
The Office of Library and Information Services is Rhode Island’s state library administrative agency. It provides support, resources and funding for libraries statewide to meet the library and information needs of all Rhode Islanders. The agency is part of the Rhode Island Department of Administration.