Part-Time Cataloging Librarian
Cataloger: As a member of the Ocean State Libraries Cataloging Department, the Cataloging Librarian is responsible for creating records for all materials for which cataloging is requested by member libraries. This includes downloading records from OCLC, working with other staff members to resolve complex copy cataloging issues and performing original cataloging in all formats. This person will be responsible for knowing and implementing OSL Cataloging policies and procedures and will participate in strategic planning and special projects that enhance the cataloging operations of the consortium. This person will take an active role in teaching training classes for member libraries’ staff in person or via teleconferencing.
1) Catalogs monographs, electronic resources, and all non-print materials using LCSH, LC classification, DDC, LCRI, RDA, and other LC and OCLC standards as they evolve. This includes both original and complex copy cataloging, along with re-cataloging if needed.
2) Is responsible for helping to clean up inconsistent authorities in the OSL Database according to OSL’s policies and procedures.
3) Maintains a working knowledge of cataloging technologies including Innovative Interface’s Sierra, OCLC, or our current bibliographic utility, and Connexion software, and other technologies and tools as they become available.
4) Participates in long term projects related to Cataloging.
5) Assists with training library staff in call-for-cataloging
6) Participates in metadata cataloging for digitization projects that the consortium adopts.
7) Attends relevant webinars and workshops in emerging technical services topics such as RDA or Linked Data.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1) Experience working with OCLC cataloging software and performing full cataloging in all formats preferred. Experience with MARC format is required. Experience with MARCEdit or a similar program and scripting utilities is a plus.
2) Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, materials, and practices.
3) Ability to analyze technical problems and make recommendations for their solution.
4) Ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
5) Ability to proactively seek better work flows and solutions to improve cataloging for all members.
6) Comfortable with the full use of Microsoft Excel and Word, as well as an aptitude for and interest in computer coding.
7) Interest in keeping up with developments in the Technical Services field.
8) Ability to work in a team-based environment.
9) Other tasks as required.
ORGANIZATION: Reports to the Assistant Director.
QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program required. Some teaching experience preferred. Knowledge of Sierra or other ILS preferred. Excellent verbal and written communications skills including demonstrated presentation and training skills required. Ease working with diverse groups is essential. Valid driver's license and properly registered and insured motor vehicle required. This is a part-time position, 20 hours per week; some benefits are available as specified in the OSL Employee Handbook. Hours may vary week to week and some evenings and weekends may be required.
Full-time equivalent Salary range: $38,552-50,000.
Range expressed as Hourly Rate: $19.77—$25.64
Please apply by sending résumé and directed letter of application by email to Human Resources: email@example.com No phone calls, please.
Responses received by 07/05/17 will receive priority consideration.
Web site: www.oslri.org
Ocean State Libraries is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law.